Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Warning: You can't dye polyester.

I ordered belly dancing isis wings to use as the base for Frosta's cape.  Problem, the seller from China sent me aqua instead of blue. 
 

Yep, a beautiful aqua was not going to work.   I tried to contact the seller to fix the problem.  In China, they either don't read English e-mails or 7 days is a bit to quick for a response.  Thankfully, eBay fixed the problem by refunding my moolah.

Figuring the cape was free, I spent a few bucks on fabric dye, hoping to make it work.  After looking at all the Rit dyes, I was unsure.  They had different names, like midnight, evening, navy, but the bottles looked identical.   Confused, I opted for the powdered Dylon dye in ocean blue.

 
The Dylon powder instructions say to combine hot water, salt, and the dye powder.  Now, I had science kits as a kid, so I was ready. The packet directed that the powder be mixed with warm water.  I saw Tim Allen's stand-up routine last week, so I figured, might as well use boiling water.  Argh, argh, argh!


The concoction was purple, but this seemed ok.  What does aqua and purple make anyhow?  Something bluish on the color wheel, right?

Next, the packet said to add the dye to the washed fabric in warm salted water.  Believe it or not, the fabric looked like it might be taking on the color.  It also looked a bit like a drowned mermaid.


BUT after stirring and letting it sit for 45 minutes, the dye all washed down the drain leaving the cape pristine aqua.  There's not a trace of the darker blue. 


After I finished, I read the packet which clearly stated that you cannot dye 100% polyester.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment